Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Cafe Mare

THE BUZZ ON CAFE MARE

Happy Hour  Sunday - Thursday 5pm - 7pm

$4 Draft beers, well drinks and wine

$7 Specialty drinks

$5  Appetizers

Cafe Mare Website
______________________________________________________________

Jo’s review


 
Café Mare (Mare in Italian means the Sea), is a beautiful little restaurant located in downtown Santa Cruz. It located off of Front Street in a slightly sunken building near a small mall.  The outside is surrounded by a beautiful garden lush with colorful flowers and plants. Once inside there’s a good size open area, a lovely table-clothed dining area with a small patio for outdoor eating, and a good sized bar. The owners of the place Andrea and Jean Pierre are all smiles and very welcoming to their Café by the Sea.



It has been a while since our last blog entry; we need to step up the pace now that summer is on the way and there are so many happy hours to be had. I always enjoy coming to Café Mare. Personally, I enjoy the handsome European men who own and work in the place. They are always attentive, and there’s just something about foreign men, but maybe that’s just me. 


When I arrive, Julie is already there with this fantastic looking bloody mary in front of her and looks too good to pass up, so I order one for myself. The drink, made with fresh tomato juice, has a skewer of some of the best garnish I have encountered in a bloody mary- 2 types of pickled onions (the traditional one and one pickled in Balsamic vinegar), an artichoke heart, olives, tomatoes, and a celery stalk to finish it off. 

 
The drink was spicy, just the way I like it and the fresh tomato juice really made it. Café Mare uses only the finest fresh organic ingredients. Happy hour is Sunday – Thursday 5pm – 7pm and consists of $4 drafts, well drinks and wine, $7 specialty drinks and $5 appetizers. We start looking at the menu and end up picking 3 items, Polenta Grigliata, a Margarita Pizzetta, and Ali de Pollo ala Diavola (chicken wings in hot sauce).




Julie and I are enjoying our bloody marys and laughing it up with Andrea when the food starts to arrive. The Polenta is grilled and topped with a choice of Bolognese, marinara, or marsala & mushrooms. Julie opts for the marsala & mushrooms and she is not disappointed. The Polenta, shaped in triangles has a nice light crunchy grill on it and the marsala with mushrooms is great with it. 

 
The chicken wings are plump and juicy with a slightly crunchy skin to them, slightly breaded and the sauce is a little sweet but tasty. The plate is decorated with thin slices of celery, and cherry tomatoes cut in half, a lovely presentation. The pizzetta was good, I like more sauce on mine and less cheese but it was good. It was a good size though and I’m glad we shared it.


While we’re munching away, Julie orders something different this time and goes for one of the specialty drinks, a ruby red Cosmos, which was very pretty in color and very refreshing. I decide on wine and go with the Negroamaro red, nice full bodied Chianti styled wine. Well the food is going down, the drinks are going down and the happy is going up!!!!
 

 
All in all Café Mare is a great place for happy hour. I like that they have it on Sunday, always looking for weekend happy hours, with good prices and great food. The main thing I like though is chatting it up with our bartender/owner. We got to meet the cook and the wait staff and it gave the place a very friendly and homey atmosphere that was warm and inviting and I look forward to going back soon.

 
Jo’s review: 4.5 shots
____________________________________________________________


Julie’s Review
 
Café Mare is conveniently located downtown on Front Street in the Galleria.  The outside of the restaurant is surrounded by beautiful flower beds.  They have Happy Hour Sunday through Thursday from 5 – 7 p.m.  I’m always thankful for a happy hour extending past 6:00, since it’s nice not to rush to make a happy hour after work and a Sunday happy hour downtown is extremely convenient.


During happy hour, well drinks, beer and wine are $4.00, specialty premium cocktails such as Ruby Red Cosmo, Berry Lemon Drop, Ginger Island or an Old Fashioned are $7.00.  The food options for $5.oo are Bruschetta, Pate,  Pizzetta, Polenta Grigliata, Chicken Wings, Fried Calamari, Fried Zucchini and Mushrooms and Meatballs.  French fries are $3.00. There is no take out on the happy hour menu, a $10 credit charge minimum and happy hour may not be on holidays.  All very reasonable.
 
I arrived at Café Mare after a hard day at work and was ready for a drink. The interior of Café Mare is cool, dark and inviting.    I was quickly greeted by Andrea, one of the owners of the restaurant.  Andrea started working at Café Mare in 2002 when he arrived from Sardinia; he became a co-owner with the other owner, Jean Pierre, several years ago.  He is a friendly and attentive bartender.  He explained Café Mare uses all local, organic ingredients, even in the Bloody Mary mix!  He takes a lot of pride in his restaurant, as he should.

                                   Jean Pierre                Andrea

I asked if I could get a well bloody mary on the Happy Hour and he was very accommodating.  That Bloody Mary was a sight for sore eyes and thirsty throat.  I always judge a Bloody Mary by the garnish and this was a garden to with celery, olive, onion, artichoke heart, tomato and a special pickled onion marinated in balsamic vinegar.  It had the right level of spiciness and hit the spot.  When Josephine arrived she liked the looks of mine so much she ordered one herself.

 
I ordered the Polenta Grigliata which is grilled organic polenta in Marsala and mushroom sauce, Jo ordered the chicken wings and we decided to split the Margherita Pizzetta.  We chatted with Andrea about running the restaurant, we met Jean Pierre and even  the multitasking chef even came out to meet us.

  
I decided to try one of the specialty cocktails so I ordered the Ruby Red Cosmo made with Absolut grapefruit vodka, fresh lime juice, orange curacao and cranberry juice.  It was delicious.  Jo ordered a glass of red wine.  I noticed that Andrea let the couple next to us taste the wine before ordering, again a nice level of service.

 
The food was wonderful when it arrived.  I particularly enjoyed the polenta, two triangles of grilled polenta floating in the mushroom sauce.  It’s a treat to find grilled polenta and the Marsala sauce was absolutely delicious.  I liked Jo’s chicken wings which arrived artistically displayed with a spray of finely cut celery sticks and “Pac-man” cut cherry tomatoes.  I liked the smaller pieces of celery with the ranch dressing.  The wings were sweet and spicy.  I realized I’m not much for cheese pizza, I want more toppings on it, but Jo was very happy with it since she loves Margherita pizza.





I ordered a well cucumber gimlet to finish the evening.  It was National Dance Week and I was enjoying this happy hour before seeing friends perform in the street.  I got the text message my friend was about to perform, so Andrea quickly rang up our bill and I swiftly departed.  Too quick of an exit to a lovely happy hour.



I was very impressed with Café Mare.  It has a great location, the service and food were wonderful, and it’s a nice atmosphere for quiet one on one conversation.  Having happy hour on Sunday and until 7:00 on weekdays is a real plus.  I like the attention and care that was given us.  Andrea really showed us “what they got” so I will give them 4.5 shots!!

 
Julie’s rating: 4.5 shots

No comments:

Post a Comment